Thousands of people contact Crime Stoppers each year.
Since commencing in 1998 information gathered through Crime Stoppers ACT has resulted in:
- over 800 arrests
- over 2,000 charges
- seizure of drugs valued at more than $16 million
- recovery of more than $550,000 in cash believed to be the proceeds of illegal activity, and
- recovery of more than $1,000,000 in stolen property.
Some examples of crime solved with the assistance of Crime Stoppers include:
- the conviction of a Canberra man for murder;
- the seizure of millions of dollars worth of cocaine entering Canberra;
- the discovery of a massive cannabis plantation in Michelago;
- the seizure in Gilmore of 10kg of cannabis and an amount of amphetamine with an estimated street value of $115,000;
- the arrest of a man in Florey following the seizure of more than 100,000 pornographic images, with an estimated 50,000 images depicting children engaging in sexual activity;
- the search of a vehicle involved in alleged drug activity resulted in the seizure of narcotics and cash, which resulted in the execution of further search warrants that led to the seizure of MDMA and crystal amphetamines with a street value of $12,000 plus $39,800 cash and $30,000 worth of property believed to be the proceeds of crime.
- during the National Crime Stoppers “Say Something Day” campaign in Nov 2010, which related to the production and distribution of amphetamines, ACT Policing executed two search warrants which resulted in the seizure of $10,000 worth of illicit drugs and a number of packages containing a substance thought to be methylamphetamine (ICE) and the subsequent arrest of two people with another person being summonsed to court.
These results reflect and reinforce the value of the successful partnership formed between Crime Stoppers, ACT Policing, the Media and the Canberra regional Community.
***REMEMBER THAT ANY INCIDENT YOU WITNESS WHICH REQUIRES IMMEDIATE POLICE ACTION OR INTERVENTION SHOULD BE REPORTED TO 000 IN THE FIRST INSTANCE***